Monday, September 27, 2010

Celebration of us!

Today was my 12 year anniversary with my wonderful hubby.
I think it is safe to say that neither one of our families thought we would last.
Here we are still proving them wrong!
I truly wish I could say that we live a fairy tale life,
but in reality we can be quite the train wreck.
The one thing we have always done is refuse to give up.
No matter what, we can & will work it out.

This time of year is always hectic. It starts with our oldest's birthday, back to school, our anniversary, middle kiddo's birthday, youngest kiddo's birthday then Thanksgiving. Breathe. Then finally Christmas.
So there have been years where our anniversary just kinda gets lost in the shuffle.
I was beginning to think this was going to be one of those years.
Especially since Matt was working his 2nd drill weekend.

He called today & told me to be ready to go. He would come home to change & pick me up with destination unknown to me. This is when having a teenager comes in very handy.

Matt knocked on the door and waited on one knee with a rose in hand for me
~ I'm really glad I didn't have one of the kids open the door!
The girls were so excited to give him the cards they made today.
Quick hugs & kisses all around and we were out the door by 5:30.

Once on the road, Matt let me know we had reservations at the Melting Pot at 7.
Oh happy day!
Even better is we had lots of time to get there.
We parked & just walked around enjoying the city.
I can't remember the last time we went on a date like this & had forgotten how nice it is to just be a couple.
We can hold hands & talk without interuptions.
 We can sit & watch people or the scenery.
We can take the scenic route without having to answer when we will be there.
We can take lots of goofy pictures of each other.

Dinner at the Melting Pot is always yummy & tonight we tried the French inspired menu.
It was all very good, but the best part is definately the dessert. We got the yin yang chocolate.
One of these days I want to come back & just get dessert, it is so yummy.


Seriously, doesn't this just look delicious?


 So I have been trying to think of a gift for Matt. He is really hard to shop for,
he just isn't into stuff.
Well he is, but it's all really expensive stuff.

While blog surfing, I came across a few sites with the 52 dates a year idea.

Here is the first one I found at Simply modern mom:

Then I found this one at Wonder woman wanna be


These got me thinking big time. We don't have little kids anymore.
One of the benefits of having a teenager is we have a live in babysitter.
I truly believe that it is good for us to have fun together
& we don't do it often enough.
So I decided this would be my present to Matt for our anniversary.

I took this tin that I've been saving


Added some cardstock, stickers & Mod Podge to come up with this



Then I filled it up with about 45 different date ideas, so the inside looks like this


I used ideas from the above two sites, they both have several great ones.
Then I added things we have talked about doing but never gotten around to, like making wine.
Things we used to do when we were dating, like going to play pool.
I mixed in cheap, expensive, overnight & staying at home ideas.


I wasn't sure how Matt would feel about this,
since I was setting him up for a date once a week for a whole year.
He surprised me by loving it & coming up with a few more ideas to add to the mix.

So our plan is to pick a new idea each week to find out what our date next week is going to be.
I thought it was perfect that tonight he picked playing pool.
We are both looking forward to going out again next week!

Here's to another year to celebrate & a fun date to look forward to every week!


1 comment:

  1. Oh FABULOUS!
    I think that's such a sweet gift because it shows that you value him and want to spend time with him. I love that he came up with some ideas too. Ya'll look so cute! We've always wanted to go to The Melting Pot!! I'll have to see if there's one in our new city.

    Cheers to your upcoming dates!
    ~h

    ReplyDelete